Tuesday, July 8, 2014

'Earworm'

My daughter is currently three years old. All last summer, while I practiced and learned the art of plant propagation, she busied her little self with collectin' seeds. She saw me fussin' with the plants all the time and she was dragged along on all the seed gatherin' jaunts around the town and neighborin' counties. Naturally she assumed seeds were mega-important (which of course they are to some of us). Most accessible to her were the spent hostas. I suppose I never considered them for growin' from seed, and in order to satisfy my curiosity about it I commenced an impromptu hosta breedin' program. Very intensive - put the seed in dirt and wait.
Here are the results of a two year old explorin' the world around her and the limited portion within her reach_



Very hosta-like indeed. But the last one, on the bottom, is very strikin', very different from what she started with. I told her she should probably consider what she will name it. Without a moment's hesitation she said " 'Earworm' ".

No comments:

Post a Comment